I don’t have any specific term or the proper idiom to describe these peoples. I’ve known this people at high school, at college and at my workplace. Sometimes I hang out with them. Not so many of them, but they make a presence, an impact, an inspiration. These people work hard like a bull, work smart like a squirrel and work polite like a noble. From CEO up to low level staff acknowledge them as a brilliant and humble person. I call them outliers.
Let me describe one of this people. He was my collegemate. Super high intelligent person with incredible academic and non academic achievement. Couple of months ago he worked as a consultant at one of big consulting firm. Now he is officially a MBA student at HBS. To his friends, he shows his real character, but when it comes to facing client and workmate as professional, he shows exceptional quality. He is determined to complete an assignment flawlessly both the quality and time. He is smart as well, always seek the best efficient way to complete the assignment so he can have sufficient rest and does his fave thing on the weekend. And when in a meeting or discussion with people, he has a really astonishing structured speech, exceptional English skills and magnificent body language. I might look like exaggerated him, but that is the truth. Sometimes the truth hurts, but this is inspiring. He can feel tired and surfeited, but he knows how to handle it. He is a real pro. He is an outlier.
I look at myself and one of my weakness is I always compare myself to others. I don’t have a perfect workplace nor workmate. My working pace is decelerating since I moved from my previous employer. But my business sense is increasing exponentially. I always challenge myself to be an outliers. Work hard, work smart and work polite. Showing determination, effectiveness and quality of work. Work with a limitless energy, without hesitation, but on schedule (since I got no compensation for overtime, why should I work overtime?). We are hungry and foolish, failure is our daily consumption and major source of knowledge. Let’s try to be that one!
The last time I published a post was October 2014. It has been 9 months. I went through a lot of things since then, though I haven’t met the hardest yet. Let me recap what was happened during this 9 months.
- CFA Program Examination. So far this was the most challenging target to be killed. Three hundred hours are the average self-study hours spent by candidates. At first I barely caught up with the curriculum, however thank Allah and support from my family and colleagues, I was able to finish it. The exam result will be announced 2 months later. Whatever the result, I am ready.
- Work life. It is getting interesting. I learned how to be a consultant, the job that I wish for. I have frequent meeting with high level management and collaborate with lower level to ensure the strategy is fit and groundbreaking. Similar approach with BCG way (still dreaming to work there). However, not everything is perfect and that is actually good. I learn that strategy itself is not sufficient and people play critical function on the organization. It inspired me to learn more about strategy implementation and change management (specialization for master degree maybe)
- Extracurricular. I accepted the offer to be SPA FEUI trainer in Grand Training. Grand Training was significantly improve me when I was an associate. It was so awesome that I was questioning whether I at future (today) can be a trainer of Grand Training. And I just made it true. SPA has given a lot of insight and experience to me, and now it’s time for me to give back and share. I delivered assertiveness material so that we know how to react properly, given any unique circumstances. I believe this training will benefit the participants and me myself.
- Family. My dad got an assignment to work at Bandung region. So Dad and Mom moved there, while I and Sis stay in Jakarta. Alhamdulillah, Sis just got accepted on Universitas Indonesia (business administration major). Soon, I will live alone in Jakarta (usually I will get slimmer if live alone, we’ll see). I occasionally visit Mom and Dad at Bandung and enjoy the surrounding and foods (I am not a big fan, but many people loves this city)
- Relationship. I get close to a woman, I don’t know if she is fit in my life or whether I fit with her life. But understanding each other require sufficient time and process, right? So l will try to enjoy it. I believe the right partner comes at the right time and the right place. She/he will empower us, so do we empower them. Let’s see how far this relationship can be.
- I got addicted to use Deezer application. It is similar to Spotify where we can listen to our favorite music anytime and anywhere through the air. I recommend this application for those who want to listen to music, legally. The subscription fee is only IDR 73,000 (it’s equal to buy an album in iTunes). It’s quite cheap and you can listen anything!
That is what happened on the last 9 months. I will write about something else later, probably about my career plan. Thanks for reading, folks!
Day by day has passed and no change was happened in the last few months. I’ve just read “Business Model YOU” last week and getting inspired to consider my career plan again. There is nothing wrong with the job. It’s just me that could not really engaged with the substance of my compliance job (plus its culture). I keep question myself whether I don’t, actually, like to work hard like hell or this kind of job is no longer drive my enthusiasm.
Two things I like about my current job are the applied accounting practices and my relationship with the Client. Expectation and pressure is always there in everywhere I work (so I don’t really mind about that). However when talking about long term career and self actualization, I don’t think this is the only way to achieve what I really want. The book told me that I need to ask again about “who am I?” and “what is my career purpose?”. They said self discoveries take time but worth to try for better career planning. I’ve thought about it for more than one month.
I do not want to be a pure accountant or book keeper (or the manager of accountant and book keeper). I want to provide more value, give the very best of me. I want to make an impact, make people satisfied with my work (though I know I could not please everyone) and hopefully my masterpiece would last forever. But I am not really sure changing my field (accounting and finance) is the solution. So I try to find and draw the connection between my lifetime objective, my career and my education and see how many options I have.
This is a new project for my self. I am the client, I am the consultant. I need to gather all the information I need and start a rigorous analysis. You may follow the project development on “project category”.
It only took a minute for me today to realize that time has passed. I mean it was already one year after my college graduation and yet I am still thinking about what or who I really want to be. Such a random thought crossed my mind.
They called this “passion”. Learned from reference.com, passion is such emotional feeling toward something which drives our enthusiasm or even sexual desire. Many said that passion is highly related with how a person work and express their feeling. When we have a passion on the music, we’ll put our best effort and creativity to create a song even though it will take day and night. But if we does not have that “passion”, the enthusiasm is just a blink, fake and vague. It drives us initially but will disappear afterwards. Creating a miserable feeling.
Passion is my concern in the last couple of months because I have entered the second year of my work-life. Not many opportunities are available outside for not-that-young-talent. I am looking for something that drives the very best of me. To create such rich value through never ending learning and patience. To see how satisfied people are when they get the best from mine. I’ve just failed to grab one opportunity recently and it’s not easy to accept. Doesn’t mean I could not accept failure but I could not accept to stay longer in the place I work now without defining what my passion is.
When will the chance be available for me to shape the community, to make a better world like MJ’s message, and to accomplish my life purpose as His servant? Should I create the chance like opening a new business? Please guide me, my God.